Palette enables multi-cluster management and governance capabilities by introducing Workspaces. This section explains how a workspace can be created in the Palette console.
- One or more running workload clusters within the project.
- Cluster must not be imported with read-only mode.
- RBAC should not be set at cluster level but to be included at workspace level.
- Palette Virtual Clusters cannot be part of the workspace.
Create Your Workspace
Add the Basic Information Provide the basic information for the workspace such as:
- Unique Name
- Optional Description
- Optional Tag
Select the cluster(s) to be added to the workspace. (See New Clusters to learn how to add a new Cluster.) Palette clusters, as well as brownfield clusters, can be added to your workspace.
Configure the Cluster Role Binding (optional). Role bindings can be created on all workspace clusters.
As step 2 of the new Workspace creation, select Add Cluster Role Binding.
Provide the name of the role for which the cluster role binding needs to be created. The role should be pre-existing or an in-built system role. Palette does not create cluster roles.
Subjects for the cluster role binding can be groups, users, or service accounts.
Subject Type Subject Name Subject Namespace User a valid path segment name NA Group a valid path segment name NA Service Account a valid path segment name Granting super-user access to all service accounts
cluster-wide is strongly discouraged. Hence, grant a
role to all service accounts in a namespace.
- Enter one or more namespaces that need to be part of the workspace. The combination of workspace and cluster is unique across workspaces in a project. Palette ensures that all the namespaces are created for all the clusters in the workspaces, in case they are not pre-existing.
- Add the resource quota for the namespaces by specifying CPU and Memory limits (optional).
- Configure the Role Binding (optional). The following information is required for each role binding:
- Select a namespace name or the Regex for namespaces for selecting multiple namespaces.
- Specific name for the role which is pre-existing
- Make the selection of Subjects from the dropdown list (User, Group, or ServiceAccount). For the subject selected, provide a valid path segment name. For the subject, ServiceAccount select namespace name as granting super-user access to all service accounts cluster-wide is strongly discouraged due to security concerns.
- Confirm the information provided to complete the configuration of role binding.
Review and finish the configuration and complete the deployment.