Palette App Mode supports the use of containers, a standard unit of software that packages code and all its dependencies to run applications quickly and reliably from one computing environment to another. Containers contain all the required executables, binary codes, libraries, and configuration files. As a result, containers are lightweight and portable with less overhead. To add a container tier to Palette Dev Engine App Profile, follow the steps below.
- Log in to Palette.
- Select App Profiles from the left Main Menu and click on the New App Profile button at the top right-hand side of the main screen.
Provide the wizard with the following information and click on Next after you have filled out the following basic information.
Parameter Description Application Profile Name A custom name for the App Profile Description (optional) Description of the App Profile, if any Tag (optional) Tags on a cluster group are propagated to the infrastructure environment environments.
- Next, select Container Deployment from the available services list.
Provide the following information to the wizard.
Parameter Description Container Name A unique name for the container deployment. Registry Select the registry from which the image will be downloaded. If specifying a non-Docker Hub registry, ensure you provide the full URL of the image. Image Image of the container to be deployed. Replicas The number of application instances to be deployed. This option follows the same behavior as a ReplicaSet in the Kubernetes configuration file. A max of 10 replicas is supported.
When adding a container image from a public DockerHub registry, you can skip the registry hostname. For instance, to download the Nginx image, specify
nginxand it will be downloaded correctly during the provisioning process.
Parameter Description Private To establish connectivity to a container service through a private network. Public To establish connectivity to a container service through the public network. Port number Exposes the container for external communication.
Parameter Description Environment Variables Environment variables can be specified as Key-Value pairs during the container deployment.
Parameter Description Volume To persist the data generated by and used by the container. Name Volume name. Size The size of the volume in GiB. Mount Path The path to the volume.
- Runtime Settings: The command and arguments you define here will override the default command and arguments provided by the container image.
- Click the Review button when you have filled out the information and are ready to conclude the wizard.
Once the container is added as a layer to the App Profile, continue with the remaining steps of the App Profile creation wizard. You can add more services as layers if needed.
- Login to Palette.
- Select the App Profiles option from the left Main Menu.
- In the App Profiles page, you will find your App Profile listed. Click the name of the App Profile to view the profile details. The app profile tier details will show the container added to the profile.